Friday, October 18, 2013

Guest Blog: ACL Weekend Run by Sarah Townsend

A quick intro from me (Jen)... Sarah Townsend is my "sister from another mother." Our mom's were best friends before we were born, so we've been bonded for decades.  Shortly after I moved to Austin in 2009, we instituted a tradition where Sarah and my sister, Jessica, would fly in for Austin City Limits.  We all love live music and miss the weekend trips of our childhood spent together with our families, so we decided to bring them back in our adulthood, at least for the three of us. That first ACL came a few months after Ruben and I met and I will never forget Sarah turning to me at one point to say, "Jenny*, I think you're in love.  I think he's the one!"  *Side note: there are 3 people in this world who can call me Jenny, so don't get any ideas! ;)

Sarah and Ruben connected on a deep level almost instantly and in a way that is hard to put into words. They just "got" each other. Another declaration of Sarah's that is etched in my mind - when she told me she started every morning by reading an email from Ruben which he entitled "Ever Present" - something he wrote shortly after accepting that he was finally out of options. Sarah is one of many who consider his sentiments to be words to live by. Our last ACL together with all four of us was in 2011 when Ruben was in hospice care, yet still made his way out there and even got on stage. But there is no question he was with us in 2012 as well as just two weekends ago, jamming to Wilco and many more - taking it all in! 


And an excerpt from Ruben's Email:  You are all someone to me. I did my best to be someone for you. My currency was time, understanding, and presence. When the day comes, I miss now that I won’t be there with my time. When the time comes, my understanding will lay ever available in your memory of me. But the day will not come when my presence will be subtracted from your life going on. It will change, but not be lost. The physical will become intangible, spiritual, faithful. Do your best to become childlike in these moments. It will be real. You will mourn away the physical and embrace the change, the presence will not fail you. Know this in your head and your heart, be faithful to this truth.

There is time left. I am alive. Others call it dying; I’ve only ever known to call it living. If you see me, see me, the life. Our time under the sun should not want an umbrella, but instead let’s look up, get dizzy, go blind with life. Our time under the rain should not want an umbrella, but instead let’s look up, get soaked, and drink up life.



ACL Through the Years:


And finally, Sarah's Guest Blog Post:

What typically happens when the alarm clock sounds and my brain and eyes are awoken is an immediate press on the snooze button.  Never have I been a morning person or found pleasure in the early wake-up call when I am training for an event or race.  However, when the purpose is more than just getting a workout or instilling discipline but something more like raising funds for awareness of a truly great cause such as cancer, or participating in an event which honors loved ones…the motivation becomes easy, clear and inspiring.  Four years ago I trained and participated in my first triathlon with Team in Training.  Meeting multiple cancer survivors and recently diagnosed cancer patients throughout my training, it was an experience that no longer was about breaking a sweat or crossing a finish line, but one of true dedication to help in any way possible those dealing with and battling life-threatening diseases.  On the day of my race I tattooed in marker the name of my dear “pseudo-brother” and friend, Mr. Ruben Garza.

Ruben will always be close to my heart and in my thoughts for he was the most thoughtful and courageous man I have ever met.  Today his memory lives on through his family, friends and especially his wife, Jen Garza, who honors his memory in countless, beautiful ways.  Her most recent quest, Jen’s 4,000 Mile Journey, is without a doubt her most challenging endeavor - but I know she will achieve and surpass her goals.  Ruben would be so proud.

Only a few days into Jen’s training, I was fortunate enough to be visiting for Austin City Limits weekend.  In honor of Ruben and to help support my girl Jen, we went for a run.  Now this wasn’t a crazy long run by any means since I no longer am in triathlon shape, but it didn’t matter the length or distance.  I felt blessed to be next to Jen during even just a few miles of her 4,000 Journey, a journey which will raise funds and awareness to help so many battling cancer.  And most importantly, I got up that morning without hesitation or an alarm clock to run for my friend Ruben.  Ruben is missed every day and even more so on a day when the crowd gets quiet, the guitar is first strummed, and the music plays.  I will never forget that run for Ruben and so many others on ACL weekend with Jen!

Good luck on this journey, Jenny…you are a constant inspiration to us all!!

Love,
Sarah


Learn more about Jen's journey to 4,000 miles and how you can support her efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment